Tuesday, October 04, 2005

 

RACE REPORT :)

WE DID IT ! ! ! ! !
Who : Me and Ian (my husband)
What : Maine Marathon/Half Marathon
When : Sunday Oct 2/05
Where : Portland Maine
Why : Just for the challenge :)

My Time : 2:27.24 ! (According to my watch) Official time 2:29.??
Ian’s Time: 1:56.??

The race was so much fun, I think I’m officially hooked ! The weather was absolutely perfect. At the 7:45 am gun it was a nice cool 59(F and at the finish it was almost 70(F. Just beautiful. The course was pretty flat overall with a mile of hills before and after the turnaround.

When we arrived at the registration on Saturday, The conversation went as follows:
Him : “Rather than just standing around for 2 ½ hours waiting for you to get done, maybe I’ll run the race too”.
Me : “ WHAT?! But you haven’t trained at all in the past 2 months”
Him : “I know but I really don’t feel like standing there waiting”
Me : “ What about your sore knees after your last run, which I’ll remind you was only 6 miles”
Him : “I’ll just run slower and keep you company, we can run together”
Me : “Awww”

At the parking garage I noticed none of the other runners had iPods or other music devices. So I asked another runner if they were allowed (since radio headsets were banned), she thought maybe not so I left it in the car. Baaad mistake. *Note to self-if you have always trained with an iPod then use it during the race. I think I could have kept a better pace had I not had to listen to the sound of my feet hitting the pavement let alone 2499 other runners feet too.

Ian ran with me for the first 5 miles which were at ~ 10:15-10:30 pace at which point he decided he really didn’t like running slow :( so he away he went (with my support of course). He musta hauled ass the final 8.1 in order to finish in under 2 hours :)

After the 7 mile turnaround I met a runner named Dave from Atlanta who ran the same pace as me. We ran together while chatting until mile 12 when my shoelace came untied, I stopped to tie it but other than that I RAN THE WHOLE WAY. After the finish I introduced Dave to Ian and we learned that Dave owns a Bentley/Ferrari dealership in Atlanta. Neato.

He and his wife Chris, a cardiologist, runs races every other weekend. She is a triathlete who either runs a marathon or does a triathlon every 2 weeks and just finished Ironman Wisconsin while Dave does Halfs. What a cool life (needless to say they have no kids).

So not wearing an iPod allowed me to meet Dave and his wife so maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

The other thing I learned is that my watch has only an eight lap memory so I lost the first 5 mile split info. Oh well, an excuse to buy a new watch.

On another note my third toe on my left foot got bruised, sore then turned grey-yup I guess I have my first black toe. Am I a real runner now?




Comments:

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?