Tuesday, September 06, 2005

 

Aaaahhhh!

Hope all the RBFers had a nice relaxing labor day weekend. We had a beautiful weekend out at our new cottage at the lake. It is small and the baseboard heaters and the hearth aren't working yet which made for good snuggling but otherwise we had so much fun. The kids, ages almost 2 and 3 1/2, learned to kayak while sitting in front of us and played around on the 10 ft x 110 ft sandy beach that is ours. I am so glad we decided to buy this property even though it might mean peanut butter sandwiches for a while (which I love but you get my point). I'll post some pictures later.
Meanwhile in running news, I'm sure y'all read about the little slump I was having. Does anyone else ever feel this way? Rather than stress about it, I decided to relax and skip the long run on Sunday and start fresh again this week.
This morning at 6am the thermometer read 42F for my 4 miler = 42 minutes. I picked the pace back up to normal (for me) speed again so it came in at 10:30 min/mile. It was chilly so I wore a long sleeve Dri-fit shirt over my running shirt then after 2 miles I warmed up enough that I could tie it around my waist. I have not run in cold weather yet so I'm wondering how I will make out for the rest of the month until the half-marathon. Speaking of, it starts at 7:45 am so in another month it will be downright penquin weather.

Another question - I bought a 4 bottle Fuel Belt and fill just 2 bottles with Gatorade on my long runs and only really use them at the end during my cooldown. Do I wear it for the Half or just use the water/Aid stations? Any thoughts out there?

Comments:
use the aid stations unless are you concered with time and don't want to stop. i filled my fuel belt for the marathon and wore it, but I had 4 full bottles at the finish line!
 
oh, nice... what lake? (unless that would make blogging less anonymous!)

you got a fuel belt? Fancy! I'm planning on just using the aid stations, and carrying some sort of gu.

but knowing me, I'll probably just leave it at the starting line with my breakfast and nerve!
 
I know that I was sure in a funk - I was starting to think that maybe it was the change of seasons somehow, it's fading, and I still haven't figured out the cause! Oh well, I'm just glad that it's getting.

About the race belt, I'd probably just use the aid stations unless there's something special you'd like to carry with you - they ran out of Gatorade at my marathon - I'd have LOVED to have had my own race belt on then! If your race has a history of running out of before the end, I'd wear it then. OK, so it looks like I was no help at all ;) LOL!
 
I always carry a handheld or use a CamelBak during my training runs, but prefer to use water-stops during races. It caused only one problem for me, but that is because I am a dork. At my half, I had been hearing about these monster hills and all I was thinking about that getting through the hills and forgot to take my gel when I was supposed to (the water stop was at the bottom of the big hill and I was just staring at the hill, oblivious to the fact that I would need the gel to get through the hill). I had to wait 2 more miles til the next water stop so I could take the gel with water.
But other than that, I say take advantage of the cool/cold water at the stops.
 
Thanks for all your advise guys! It's nice to hear from people with experience:)
 


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?