Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

10 Miles - DONE !

Well I did it, I knocked out 10 miles today ! That's the farthest I have run in my whole life ! Can you tell I'm pretty proud of myself? *giggle* Oh yeah, the time you ask?

A ROCKIN' 1:42:37 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kicked ass on that run :)

This run was in Fredericton so my dad rode his bike next to me while I ran on the walking/jogging trails and maybe him being beside me was enough to keep me on pace or something but man did that feel good. The cyclometer thing on his bike was able to give us the distance and pace and I swear I thought it was wrong until I saw the signs on the trails marking the distance and realized that the fancy gizmo was calibrated right.

Miles 1 and 2 : Came out much too fast -9 min pace, Dad slowed and indicated the 2 mile mark and when I looked at my watch it said 18 min (which is why I thought his calibration was off) but the trail sign also said 2 miles. I realized very quickly that that pace would need to be slowed otherwise I wouldn't make it to mile 10.

Miles 3 and 4: Still running pretty fast-10 min pace, but was honestly feeling pretty darn good so far so decided to try and keep that pace.

Mile 5 : half a GU pack (Expresso) and Gatorade from Fuel Belt. I LOVE the Expresso! I am going to go back to Triathlete Sports on Monday and trade my Triberry for more Expresso. Until now the whole way had a pretty strong headwind.

Miles 1-5 = 49:54 = 9:59 min/mile

Mile 6 : Thank heavens for the tailwind! quarter pack GU and Gatorade.

Mile 7: Seemed to have slowed a little so picked up the pace and pushed harder for ...

Miles 8 and 9: rest of GU pack and little bit more Gatorade.

Mile 10: Uphill but I pushed really hard and ran as fast as I could the last half mile. Paid off handsomely !

Miles 6-10 = 52:43 = 10:32 min/mile
Overall pace = 10:15 min/mile

Started with 4 full bottles in the Fuel Belt and ended with 2 full bottles so for the half will use 2 bottles and then the water/gatorade tables.

My Dad's butt (on the bike) was more sore than I was! I have been grinning to myself all afternoon about my times. I had told my husband last week that after the half next week I was going to spend the winter concentrating on shaving some time off my pace in prep for the spring. I have been fantasizing about someday (maybe even next year) trying a marathon but again finding the time to train is the hard part. So many obligations, so little time. Something has to suffer...I just don't want it to be my kids. On that note...

*Warning : selfish comments follow*
We have been in negotiations lately about having another child. I am more than willing but...after "S" was born I bounced back very quickly. Back to my old self in 6 months. I'm not bragging - the fact that I was so stressed out because he didn't follow any of the rules in the book and nursed every 2 hours at night until he was 11 months old had a huge role in it. That kid defied logic, he would be sound asleep but the minute I would bring a sandwich to my lips he would wake up screaming. Needless to say I didn't get to eat as much as I would have liked.

Baby "N" was a much calmer baby, followed all the preset rules (nursed well and slept like a log at 2 wks of age), and was much more predictable. And no, it was not because it's easier the second time around but because that's just his personality-he's still calm and "S" is still higher strung.
The problem was that when we moved to Maine from San Antonio I had a harder time losing the baby weight due to lack of activity.

I am scared s***less that it will happen again. There I said it for all blogworld to read. I am afraid I will have a hard time losing the baby weight again. I like my nice lean self. When I was heavier I just felt horrible because none of my clothes would fit right. My post-nursing boobs always walked into a room first, my a** always seemed like it was 2 minutes behind, and I was always sucking in to hide the baby roll (which BTW is harder to get rid of the second time). The roll is gone and so are the boobs and a** but hell that was very hard work. The third time I will be past mid thirty and I imagine that much more harder. I know I will have another child but I don't want to have to wait another 2-3 years to get to great shape to train for a marathon.

Would love to hear from anyone (both men/women) that were trying to train for something with very small children.
Hope everyone else had great weekend runs/races :)

Comments:

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?