Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 

Boston run

My husband and I went to Boston this past weekend to buy medical equipment for the office we are constructing. Before leaving I told my husband that on Sunday AM I would be running 5miles on the esplanade along the Charles River (separating Boston and Cambridge). He said he would love to join me. Remember he has long legs-it's important later.

On Saturday we stopped by Marathon Sports to get a running map and buy new Asics Gel Kayanos (I always wear the same shoe). Back at the hotel, we found the 5.2 mile route on the map and decided to give it a try the next day. We had dinner in the North End, which is basically Little Italy, at Limoncello's which served Northern Italian dishes. I had Chilean sea bass and it was cooked to perfection!

On Sunday we woke up at 6:20am (rephrase-I woke up, he wanted to know why he couldn't sleep in) and headed down to the Esplanade (home of the Hatch Shell where the July 4th Pops conert is broadcast from on PBS). We started at the Harvard Bridge (across from the MIT dome) and planned to run to the Arsenal Bridge, across it to the Cambridge side and back. A couple of things about Boston- some things just don't have a logical reason for the way they are.

  1. Considering that the whole darn city runs on the Esplanade you would think they would mark the 10 bridges so you know where you are.
  2. The Harvard Bridge does not go to Harvard- it crosses to MIT.
  3. The Arsenal Bridge connects to Harvard and not to the Armory.


Instead of the Arsenal Bridge we ended up turning around at the Anderson Bridge thinking it was the Arsenal. The end result was that we did exactly 5 miles instead of the intended 5.2 miles in 55 minutes (that included 1 minute of jogging on spot waiting for light to change and not get run over by cars).

Overall I was very, very happy with this time.

OK now a note about long legs - ran the whole thing then came back to run with me-aawww...what a sweet husband (see post about 7min miler for 10 miles). At the end he was pumped I tell ya...
Him: Come on let's go farther, that was easy.
Me: Um...no thanks, I'm gonna stick to the schedule.
Him: Maybe we can run again tonight-that felt great.
Me: Maybe you should wait until tonight, you might just change your mind.
Him: OK then let's run tomorrow morning.
Me: uh, no tomorrow is rest day.
Him (2 blocks later): uh, the side of my knee is sore
Him (1 block later): ouch it hurts, stop I need to stretch
Me(giggling): I told you so, still wanna run tonight? Hee hee

This AM 4 miles = 44:28 minutes. It felt great! When I posted that 3.5 miles at 37 minutes being sloooow it was not because of the time, the run just felt bad. It felt like I was trying too hard to keep the pace. But I thank those that commented that it was not so slow.


Comments:

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?