Wednesday, August 03, 2005

 

Boo Hoo

I miss my little monkeys :( They won't be back until next week but the house is horribly empty without them. It seems that they are also my unconscious motivator. Let me explain.

Every morning I wake up and go running around 6:15ish, by the time I return back to the house, the kids are awake, sometimes dressed and having breakfast with Daddy. I stretch, do crunches and shower before my husband leaves for work at 7:45ish. This leaves 45 minutes to finish getting dressed, dress the kids (if not done yet), clean up breakfast mess, ready the kids bags for school, corral them in to the SUV(the environment-yeah,yeah) to drop off at preschool before 9am. This busy schedule must subconsciously get my adrenaline pumping first thing in the AM because this week without the kids I feel like a SLUG.

I woke up as usual to run this morning and when I hit the road I felt like I was forcing myself to run. Not a good feeling. I had flashbacks to tennis training and being forced to run with the coach behind us making sure we didn't slack off. I hate forced anything! So after suffering the worst right side shin splints for a mile I quit and walked back home. Disgusted with myself, I finished by doing some crunches before heading off to work. I had a remember to turn into my office driveway and not drive past it to the preschool like I usually do.

I am thinking of bailing on the training schedule for this week and pick up again for the long run on Sunday. I'll be in Boston (where I went to school) for the weekend and my husband has said he will run with me along the Esplanade, yeah :)

A warning- the following will make you sick with jealousy... my husband's body build is long and lean. 6' 2 1/2' and ~175lbs. He is built like a long distance runner. In May he decided to go for a long run out of the blue. He went for 10 miles at a 7:30 pace! Makes me sick. Extremely athletic he is-lucky!

BTW when I run the half-marathon in October, when am I supposed to eat GU gel and where am I supposed to use the Body Glide? Are there any guidelines for this? I couldn't find anything in this years back issues of Runner's World.

Comments:
yeh- ur husband's build sucks. So not fair!!

As for the GU- really important to experiment w/it while you train. Some people take them every 45 minutes, some one every 6 miles or so. When I ran my only half, I took one at mile 9. I was getting tired and it gaves me a fast quick of energy. The downside for me is that it gives me a huge sugar rush and about 20-30 minutes later I have a sugar crash and bottom out. I get sleepy and lethargic. Not good while trying to run 13.1 or 26.2! In the marathon I took one at mile 19 only b/c I was hurting like hell and needed a boost. Play with it and you'll see what works for you. Instead of GU I prefer to carry a little pouch of gummy bears in my shorts and I eat a few every 3-4 miles or so. It's less of a sugar rush, but has the same effect and you can eat them and not feel sick.
As for body glide. Put it on your arms around your bra straps and on the inside of your thighs for sure. I wear a fuel belt so I grease up my waist area under the band of my shorts too.
 
I need body glide on the tops of my shoulders from the sports bra rub but whereever chaffing appears - smear it!

hmm and I am guessing he can eat all he wants too huh...boy some people have all the luck! =)

It's amazing what a difference kiddies make isn't it. I always think that I will love the break when they at Grandma's for a bit but I end up bored wondering what life consisted of before children??
 
Hey Kiran! Thanks for all the supportive comments and reminders that in the end, pregnancy is worth it! You are so right about that. I don't know why I insist on having babies in August, in the California heatwaves....

I did a half in February. I didn't eat any GUs or anything at all, in fact. Just water at the aid stations. I have heard that unless you use them in your training runs, you shouldn't use them during the "races". More experienced people could confirm or contradict.

Body Glide. Use it. I wish I had! For me, it was a spot just along the bra line, over the ribs, essentially between my breasts. I didn't even know how bad it was until I got home and caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye when I was undressing for the shower - my bra was seeped in blood! Just right there, though. Other people have noticed chafing over the collar bones, where the bra straps hit. I say use it. Everywhere! Too much seems like way better than too little.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to following along with your training. Oh, and if I ever meet your husband, I will punch him! :)

Mia
 
I hate your husband and I have never met him...just joking.

Ahhh...to not have to worry about gaining fitness, and it was already built in...

Oh well, back to reality!
 


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?