Tuesday, August 23, 2005

 

The blahs and the iPod

Sunday 6 mile = 1:04:45 = 10:45 min/mile !!!!!!!
Tuesday 4 miles = 44:52 = 11:21 min/mile

I hit a bit of a blah spell last week, both physically and mentally. My husband had decided, 2 weeks ago, that he wanted to run the Maine Marathon's 1/2 marathon too. That was fine and dandy except that now we have to figure out who is going to run each morning. It used to only be me so if I felt like sleeping in and shifting the training schedule it was no problem, but now it is a problem. One morning last week I had dressed to run and was heading out the door when my little one "N" woke up hollering "where Mama?" By the time I soothed him down I realized there was not enough time to run before the daily commotion of morning wakeup routine would begin. Well, who should stroll into the bedroom dripping wet with sweat? My husband. Having just run 4 miles. Outside. On my running day. Humph.


That's when I realized my freedom of random morning runs were over. I thought how funny it would have been to be out running and discover my husband heading towards me on the other side of the road :) Me panic stricken would be wondering who was with the kids.
Oh well -we'll figure it out.


Last week my last run was Thursday PM, Friday was rest day, on Saturdays I never have a chance to crosstrain so it becomes another rest day. This is too much down time for me - I end up shifting into lazy mode. Next weekend I will do a short run ~2 miles on Sat AM, then the long run Sun. We'll see if that helps.

I would love to have a bike and ride the mornings that I'm not running or even put the kids in one of those bike trailer things and ride in the evenings with them but bikes are expensive, especially since I like to buy middle range and not low end, and the end of the season is coming, then comes snow...brrr.

In other news I bought an iPod shuffle at Sam's Club yesterday! Why? because on my long run Sunday my FM radio gave out on me at the 4 mile mark....aargh! I hate the sound of my shoes on pavement or gravel so the last 2 miles were a killer for me. I tried singing songs in my head but the majority of my song library consists of preschools songs "the wheels on the bus..."

Since the half marathon has a radio headset ban I broke down and bought the iPod. Talk about feeling old school. I went to Circuit City to buy a shuffle armband and asked the kid how the whole MP3 thing worked. Well didn't he just look at me like I had 3 heads. Alright kid, listen here, 8 tracks were just being phased out when I was born in 1971. I own numerous vinyl, tapes and quite a few old CDs but since the kids were born (2002) it has been a preschool life.

I downloaded iTunes and uploaded some of my old CDs, the thought of paying $0.99 a song seems high when you can buy the whole CD for $10.
I am sooooooooooo feeling old right now.


Comments:
I just recently got a shuffle as well. You're going to love it!

I actually have a regular iPod too, but felt that it was too uncomfortable strapped to my arm. On long runs it would get hot and heavy. (Hot and heavy, lol)

I keep the shuffle in my pocket, with just the earphones coming out. For the first time in my running career I can run with nothing in my hands. And if I want, I can still control the iPod controls through my pocket.

My only limitation now is that I need pockets in my running shorts. I had wanted to get some more high tech material shorts, but they generally don't have pockets. Truth is, I need the pockets for my keys anyway. So I'm working on this problem...
 
try allofmp3.com they are WAY cheaper (like 9 cents a song) and I use them all the time!

are you going to wear your ipod shuffle during the half marathon? I was thinking about what I would do if I couldn't run to music this morning during my 4.5

Chandra
 
I wish I could run with you! We run at a similar pace and I am in desperate need of a running partner to stay motivated!
 
my husband is not running right now (on crutches for a bad stress fracture) but I can totally relate to coordinating a running schedule-we took turns running while he was training for a 50K! One time we brought him to childcare so that we could actually run together! It will all work out though, it kept me on schedule cuz I couldn't back out of a planned run, or I wouldn't be able to make it up. Good luck.
 
1971? Now I feel old!
It must be fun to share the running goal w/ your husband. My BF says he's interested in starting training after we come back in a couple weeks - it will be interesting to see how it works out.
Enjoy the Shuffle. Word of warning: iTunes becomes addictive because you can browse through and choose all these single songs you remember from school. That one-click purchase feature is like crack. Have fun!
 


<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?